Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Footnotes

I hope that you're taking the time to at least glance at the footnotes as you read. There are some wonderful nuggets there. I think particularly of these quotes from Aquinas and Augustine, respectively...

"The final felicity (happiness) of man consists only in the contemplation of God," and

"When I seek Thee, I seek a happy life."

Do those statements, as well as Calvin's own, "The final goal of a blessed life, moreover, rests in the knowledge of God", not put one in mind of the Westminster Catechism?

"The chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever."

We can sometimes be tempted to think that the writers and documents and ideas that we are familiar with came as a lightening bolt out of the blue. Calvin has reminded me again and again that even great thinkers are influenced by those who came before.


No comments:

Post a Comment