Monday, February 23, 2009

Book I, Chapters 11-12

Sorry for not keeping up better. I'm hoping that with Revelation completed, and the start of the next series a few weeks out, I'll be able to get the blog a bit more up to date.

I probably sound like a broken record, but I must say that in regard to these chapters on idolatry, Calvin once again demonstrates his timelessness. What struck me most, I suppose, is that the arguments of Rome in favor of the use of images have not changed in the last 400 years. They continue to lean upon the artificial and untenable distinction between "latria" and "dulia"/"worship" and "reverence".

Calvin's arguments are as persuasive and useful today as when they were written. They are so simple, and yet so powerful. When man makes an idol, he is, of necessity, the god over that idol. Images are said to be useful for teaching, but they teach falsely (Jer. 10:8). Images serve to remove the fear of God and add error concerning Him. Images take the minds of men away from the study of the truth. The ordinances of Baptism and the Lord's Supper are the only "images" given to the church. And on and on he goes.

His argument in regard to the use of images for teaching really made me stop and think. Why would anyone need to be taught by images? Because they have been made stupid by images. Wow. Is this not what is happening today in so many pulpits? Preachers simplify the great truths of Scripture so as to focus solely on the most simple among us. "Felt needs" take the place of doctrine. As a result, the overall level of theological literacy plummets. What we need, rather, is to raise up the simple to maturity.

On one last note, don't you just love the directness of Calvin's speech? I had to laugh when I read this...

"Hence it is perfectly clear that those who try to defend images of god and the saints with the example of those cherubim are raving madmen."

But John. What do you really think? lol

No comments:

Post a Comment