Friday, January 23, 2009

The Value of Writing

At the end of "...to the Reader," Calvin quotes a line from one of Augustine's letters that resonates with me, and which I would commend to you, as well, as a means of coming to own that which we study.

"I count myself one of the number of those who write as they learn and learn as they write."

It has certainly been my experience that writing as I read serves to both ingrain in my mind that which I read, and to clarify my own thought in regard to what I read. I would encourage you to avoid being a "passive reader." Better to enter into a dialogue with the author. Question. Affirm. Argue.

Our goal in reading through the ICR is not to be able to parrot Calvin, but to grow in our knowledge and apprehension of biblical truth. This will occur not only as we receive what Calvin has to say, but as we evaluate it by the standard of God's word. When Dec. 31 arrives, I would hope that each of us will have said at some point over the course of the past year, "I think Calvin had it wrong, here."

No comments:

Post a Comment